[gedit-list] gedit 2.28.4 is unable to open a log f ile

Hi All,
gedit 2.28.4 is unable to open a log file because it is unable to detect the character encoding but gedit 3.4.1 is able to open the log file. vi is also able to open. Seems there is no problem with the log file but I suspect there may be some characters in the log which 2.28.4 version is unable to detect.

How can I detect which characters is creating problems?? Is there any easy way to do so??
The last option left is to debug gedit but I am unable to compile the source because configure is failing. Below is the error.. Which packages need to be installed on ubuntu 12.04 to compile gedit. Please help..

configure: WARNING: libattr not found, disabling libattr support
checking for GEDIT... configure: error: Package requirements (
libxml-2.0 >= 2.5.0
glib-2.0 >= 2.18.0
gthread-2.0 >= 2.13.0
gio-2.0 >= 2.16.0
gtk+-2.0 >= 2.16.0
gtksourceview-2.0 >= 2.4.0
gconf-2.0 >= 1.1.11
) were not met:

No package 'gtksourceview-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GEDIT_CFLAGS
and GEDIT_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

Thanks
Subrata
Get your own FREE website, FREE domain & FREE mobile app with Company email.
Know More >