Re: [gedit-list] gedit-list Digest, Vol 107, Issue 11

On 18/12/13 02:02 AM, Adam Dingle wrote:

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Ray Andrews <rayandrews eastlink ca> wrote:
On 17/12/13 06:04 PM, Adam Dingle wrote:

Adam,

Incremental search means searching as you type, without needing to press Enter to initiate a search:

Sure, that's a very good thing, hard not to like it, but of course the persistence of the box is another issue. Why not just make that configurable?

Since you can recall the search box at any time by pressing Ctrl+F, I think most users find there's simply no need for the box to persist.  If it did persist, you'd have to move the mouse to it and click it to begin another search.  Pressing Ctrl+F is arguably easier than that.

Sure, but why make it a 'contest'? Let the user decide, make it configurable and that's that.  I'd be happy with it myself if I could just change the persistence time up to, say, two minutes.  For me, things like this are matters of principal as much as they are matters of practicality.  I moved to Linux precisely because I was tired of being told what I like, yet everywhere developers have  this tendency to say: "Here's the latest and greatest, you are going to love it."  Thus we see both gnome and KDE fragmenting and fragmenting again because so many people do not want the latest and greatest look and feel, but there seems to be no respect for that within the mainstream of development. Me, I'd have a checkbox: "Old look and feel" / "New look and feel". I'd be able to give the new idea a try now and then and, who knows, maybe I would come to love it. If not, I'd not have to consider downgrading to get back what *I* like.