[gedit-list] Documentation plugin feature request

Hi All,

I was going to file a bug to request a feature for gedit, but I thought that it would be better to discuss it on the mailing list first. At least one or two of the developers have suggested that they would be willing to work on a plugin to help with documentation. I've brought it up with the documentation team, and we all agree that this would be helpful for us.

What would help us the most for now would be a plugin that would allow us to validate docs against a RelaxNG schema. Both DocBook version 5 and Mallard are based on RelaxNG schemas, and such a plugin could - by extension - also validate any other kind of XML file that is based on a RelaxNG schema.

Ideally, the plugin would provide functionality similar to what is provided by Emacs nXML mode. Here's what nXML mode does:
* It detects the schema based on the namespace (or namespaces) that is/are used in the file.
* It validates the file against the schema, letting you know in real-time whether the file is valid or invalid
* If the file is invalid, you can press a key-combination that will move to the next point in the file where it is invalid.

Those three features alone would be great. I don't know if those features would be possible within gedit, but I thought I would mention them as a starting point. I'd be willing to answer any questions to help refine a specification for this feature.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks very much,

Jim