[gedit-list] Introduction and Question about editing .php files

Hi all,

My name is Max and I am new to this list. I am trying to see if I can use gedit to edit .php/.js/.html/.css files. I have been using gedit for some time, but merely for editing plain .txt files. So far I have been using Quanta for coding for many years, but some issues annoy me with Quanta that seem to work in gedit. On the other hand, some things in gedit don't work the way I was used to with Quanta. I hope this list can help solve some issues I see with gedit for editing code.

.php selecting $variables
I like to select $variables by double-clicking on them in .php files. Unfortunately gedit doesn't select the '$' part of a variable. Can I adjust this behavior with a setting somewhere?

I am using gedit 3.2.3 BTW along with loads of plugins.

Cheers,
Max