[gedit-list] Encoding in mac version
- From: tdiguy <jclark00 us ibm com>
- To: gedit-list gnome org
- Subject: [gedit-list] Encoding in mac version
- Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 06:40:10 -0700 (PDT)
Been a gedit user for about 10 years now and have never, ever had a
complaint or issue. Yesterday I got a not-very-computer-literate friend to
install it on his Mac. (My wife, equally not-very-computer-literate has been
using it for a year on her Mac with excellent results.)
However, when we tried to open an HTML page so he could edit it, we got an
encoding error and a big red bar. I have never seen this before. There was a
dropdown, and I don't remember the other option besides the default, but it
did not open the file either.
vi on his Mac read it prefectly. I opened and saved it in vi, hoping that
might change some invisible encoding, but gedit still would not read it. the
"File" command just showed it an HTML text file.
And now, on my Linux gedit I can open the file just fine. I was afraid that
There may be some other Mac text editor (though the thing called texteditor
on his Mac opens it as html, even when I change the extension to .txt) but
gedit has served me so well for so long that I would really love to resolve
Thanks so much!
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Encoding-in-mac-version-tp32386793p32386793.html
Sent from the Gnome - Gedit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
] [Thread Prev