Re: [gedit-list] Feedback for new plugins

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com> wrote:
Hi!

       yes, this sounds pretty cool and I am pretty sure Steve would be happy
if you took on this task. Modelines is in C because we try to keep the
plugins enabled by default in C for performance reasons. I hope porting
to C is not too hard.

Just a few more comments:

A) The actual hierarchy is
1. Current settings set on the statusbar (this should always win even
when reloading saving)
2. Modelines
3. Auto Tab by Language
4. Preference dialog

B) I would not mind adding the autodection method for tab-width and
indent to gtksourceview itself

C) A possible addition of preference would be reading up a per
dir/project configuration file

Ciao
       Paolo

Hi Paolo,
Thank you for your encouragement and support. I have had some experience programming in C and C++, but no previous C development in GTK+ worth mentioning about. Most GTK+ development I had done up till now are coded in pygtk. I found that reading http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/NewMDIPluginHowTo, and your GeditChangecasePlugin source a while ago, helps me a great deal in further understanding gedit plugin creation and GObject in general.

I am now studying modelines plugin sources, and have started to convert some parts of Auto Tab by Language into C. I think the autodection method for tab-width and indent to gtksourceview is a cool idea. I also like your idea to save preference settings into directories, and plan to include that feature as a user option. BTW, when I've made substantial changes to modelines plugin, where should I upload the source(s)? Or should I upload the diffs instead?