Re: [gedit-list] Feedback for new plugins

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 22:04 +0700, darkvertex wrote:
> 1. Every opened document will be scanned for existing modelines.
> 2. If found, then tab width, indent width and other preferences will
> be set according to modelines embedded in the document. The same as in
> its current implementation.
> 3. If not found, then the plugin would look for tab and indentation
> preferences configuration as implemented by Auto Tab by Language
> plugin.
> 4. If none are found, then preferences would default to the ones
> specified in the preference dialog.
>
> So the hierarchy of preference settings, from high to low, would be:
> 1. Modelines
> 2. Auto Tab by Language
> 3. Preference dialog
>
> I've sent an email to Steve Frécinaux asking whether he is interested
> in developing this feature. If not, then I could take on this task.
> The Auto Tab by Language part would be recoded in C and integrated
> into this new modelines plugin. What do you think?

Hi!

	yes, this sounds pretty cool and I am pretty sure Steve would be happy
if you took on this task. Modelines is in C because we try to keep the
plugins enabled by default in C for performance reasons. I hope porting
to C is not too hard.

Just a few more comments:

A) The actual hierarchy is
1. Current settings set on the statusbar (this should always win even
when reloading saving)
2. Modelines
3. Auto Tab by Language
4. Preference dialog

B) I would not mind adding the autodection method for tab-width and
indent to gtksourceview itself

C) A possible addition of preference would be reading up a per
dir/project configuration file

Ciao
	Paolo