Re: [gedit-list] Feedback for new plugins

On 1/20/11, Jesse van den Kieboom <jessevdk gnome org> wrote:
> On 01/18/2011 09:39 PM, darkvertex wrote:
>> Hi,
>> First of all, I would like to thank gedit developers for making this
>> great powerful and flexible text editor.
>>
>> I recently made a couple of plugins, String Modifiers and Auto Tab by
>> Language. They are coded in python, and both have been listed in
>> http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins.
> The string modifiers can be mostly just done by snippets, which is a bit
> more powerful and allows more customization. The auto tab by language is
> cool, I would like to actually see that integrated in the modelines plugin.
>

> Jesse
>>
>> I would very much appreciate it if someone could kindly give me some
>> feedback. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hertatijanto Hartono

Hi Jesse,
Thank you for your quick reply. I've taken a look at modelines source
code from the latest stable release, gedit-2.30.2.tar.gz, and believe
that adding Auto Tab by Language capabilities to it would be straight
forward. The new modelines plugin, which merges both plugins, could
process documents in the following manner:
1. Every opened document will be scanned for existing modelines.
2. If found, then tab width, indent width and other preferences will
be set according to modelines embedded in the document. The same as in
its current implementation.
3. If not found, then the plugin would look for tab and indentation
preferences configuration as implemented by Auto Tab by Language
plugin.
4. If none are found, then preferences would default to the ones
specified in the preference dialog.

So the hierarchy of preference settings, from high to low, would be:
1. Modelines
2. Auto Tab by Language
3. Preference dialog

I've sent an email to Steve Frécinaux asking whether he is interested
in developing this feature. If not, then I could take on this task.
The Auto Tab by Language part would be recoded in C and integrated
into this new modelines plugin. What do you think?

Regards,
Hertatijanto Hartono