Re: [gedit-list] IDE based on gedit

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Jan Niklas Hasse <jhasse gmail com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Some years ago I started writing a new IDE for Linux in Python. The
> idea behind it was: Make it slim, fast and extensible with plugins.
> Just like gedit is. In fact gedit is my favorite "IDE" for Linux, but
> it's lacking some important features I needed.
>
> I tried to implement them as plugins but after a while I realized that
> it was to complicated. Furthermore I would lose my lightweight text
> editor and instead open up an IDE every time I would want to edit some
> configuration file.
>
> But writing an IDE from scratch? Not an option if I wanted to be
> feature complete. Rather I decided to create something like a fork of
> gedit, but written in Python. The clue is that I want plugins to be
> compatible, so that most of the work can be handled as plugins and
> therefore will be available to gedit users, too. Moreover that avoids
> rewritten some needed IDE features like code completion or a class
> browser.
>
> I named this IDE Taluka and started about 3 years ago. Unfortunately I
> never had enough time to finish. Anyway: What do you think of the
> general idea and would someone even like to help out?

I appreciate a project for its own sake, but unless gedit itself
wanted to switch to Python, this would be a lot of work, constantly
chasing gedit.

But, a slight variation might be useful: we are writing a Gtk-based
editor and shell in IronPython for educational purposes. Check it out:

http://PyjamaProject.org/

-Doug