Re: [gedit-list] Javascript code outliner?

And that did the trick.  Thanks Matej!

As an aside, my JS codebase makes heavy use of closures and prototypal inheritance.  But apparently ctags parsing won't handle nested definitions.  I guess my search for a Gedit-based class browser for JS continues...

best,
Kaleb

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl redhat com> wrote:
Dne 18.11.2010 16:08, kaleb moreland napsal(a):
> Yeah, running Gedit <_javascript_-file> from the command line emits:
> ctags: invalid option -- 'n'
>
> Could it be I'm on a wrong ctags version?  Not sure how to check for
> that, though.

I think gedit expects exuberant tags (there are more implementations of
the ancient tags command). Try to run the following command:

jakoubek:~ $ ctags --version
Exuberant Ctags 5.8, Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Darren Hiebert
 Compiled: Jan  4 2010, 12:38:14
 Addresses: <dhiebert users sourceforge net>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
 Optional compiled features: +wildcards, +regex
jakoubek:~ $

or you can try (dpkg -S /usr/bin/ctags would be Debian equivalent I
believe):

jakoubek:~ $ rpm -qif /usr/bin/ctags
Name        : ctags                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 5.8                               Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 2.fc13                        Build Date:
Po 4. leden 2010, 13:38:16 CET
Install Date: Út 17. srpen 2010, 20:42:29 CEST      Build Host:
x86-01.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Group       : Development/Tools             Source RPM:
ctags-5.8-2.fc13.src.rpm
Size        : 347892                           License: GPLv2+ or Public
Domain
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, So 24. červenec 2010, 23:49:23 CEST, Key ID
421caddb97a1071f
Packager    : Fedora Project
URL         : http://ctags.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : A C programming language indexing and/or cross-reference tool
Description :
Ctags generates an index (or tag) file of C language objects found in
C source and header files.  The index makes it easy for text editors or
other utilities to locate the indexed items.  Ctags can also generate a
cross reference file which lists information about the various objects
found in a set of C language files in human readable form.  Exuberant
Ctags improves on ctags because it can find all types of C language tags,
including macro definitions, enumerated values (values inside enum{...}),
function and method definitions, enum/struct/union tags, external
function prototypes, typedef names and variable declarations.  Exuberant
Ctags is far less likely to be fooled by code containing #if preprocessor
conditional constructs than ctags.  Exuberant ctags supports output of
Emacs style TAGS files and can be used to print out a list of selected
objects found in source files.

Install ctags if you are going to use your system for C programming.
jakoubek:~ $

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
  -- Dan Stanford