Re: [gedit-list] Dynamic loading of plug-ins?

On 1/9/10 15:47 , Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:
ricardo lafuente wrote:
On 1/9/10 12:42 , Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:
ricardo lafuente wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to call Gedit specifying which
plug-ins should be active.
It's not possible to specify them on the command line, but you could
change them in gconf where its stored which ones are activated. So, you
could write a little script that takes as an argument which plugins to
enable, and then use gconftool-2 to set the key
'/apps/gedit-2/plugins/active-plugins' which holds the active plugins.

Note that you just change the global settings with this, which also
means that any running gedit will deactivate/activate the new setting
and any new gedit processes will also use this setting.

Hi Jesse, thanks for the quick response!

This solution indeed carries the issue of affecting all instances of
Gedit... is there any way to activate/deactivate plugins from inside
Gedit, e.g. through a Python call in a plug-in? (wishful thinking... but
worth asking i guess.)
No, this is not possible at the moment. The plugins engine is private
API and not available to plugins. There have been some thoughts on
'profile' support, in which you can save a certain configuration of
gedit and simply do something like 'gedit --profile web', but it has not
been implemented (and it would require non trivial changes in the core).

Oh, thanks for pointing me the right way. I've just left a comment on an existing feature request at the Gedit Bugzilla (#392023), which should have been my first step before coming to the mailing list -- sorry about that.

Now, if you really want to make this work and want to get your hands
dirty, you could maybe launch a separate gconf daemon for such a gedit
process and thus have one set of specific settings not affecting others.
It should be doable, but it certainly a very dirty hack.

Yes, it does sound quite convoluted -- i couldn't even find docs on how to achieve that. I'll be just crossing my fingers and hope that someone can lend their precious time to that feature request. In the meantime, thanks a ton for all your great work in Gedit, i've been recently marveling at how friendly the plug-in API is (and the rest of the application as well).

:r