Re: [gedit-list] Developing plugins

Hi Fred,

Well I think I will just first get up to speed with the structure and
layout of python first. I am reading this 10 minute tutorial at the
moment http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/python?. And then I think I
will have another read through the page about gedit python plugins. And
then I guess I will do what any programmer does that wants to get
something working quickly and learn at the same time, hack away until I
have something that I can use, and work from there. But really having
used so many languages before, I know that they all (well object
oriented ones at least) do pretty much the same thing, I just have to
learn the syntax and practice a bit. With any luck, (and time) I hope
to have at least something very crude in a couple of weeks.

I've seen the feature that you talk about below in other ide's like
eclipse's radrails. I never really liked the feature, but I would be
happy to write such a plugin once I am familiar with writing plugins. I
much prefer the snapopen plugin functionality where you just type and
it brings up a short list of matching candidates.

The other thing I don't really get on with in gedit is the buffer tabs,
for a couple of reasons.

- They are not sorted alphabetically (or then don't even have an option
to specify such behaviour)

- they are too big (or they have no option to specify size)

- After about 8 they scroll off the screen, I would much prefer that
they should multiple lines so that you could see all the buffers you
had open all the time. That way if they are smaller and alphabetically
sorted you could switch to buffers more easily that way also.

But anyway, this is just another plugin feature I want to write once I
am up to speed.

So like I said, any help from anyone is welcome.

I will have a look at your tabs plugin for tips.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Philip