Re: [gedit-list] GSOC Proposal: Gedit as a class note taking application.

Hi Andreas,

> Hi, I am a student from Argentina and want to make this proposal for
> GSOC. This gedit related and I don't known if it could make as an
> appropriate idea in the gnome project. Please comment it.
>
> Title: Provide Gedit with sufficient features to perform efficient
> class note taking.
> Project: GNOME
> Abstract: As student, I always make my note taking on my laptop. As
> there is no Gnome application this specific for task I end up using
> Gedit.
> Gedit lacks of required features for common tasks on the university
> classes, as graphics (line, bars, etc), bookmarking (easy class
> navigation), simple foots notes, equations and math, etc.
> This project will provide enough plugins to perform those, task
> without embedded them on the gedit core. Will be programed using
> Python language as a way of fast pace prototyping and re implement
> them in C languages if it is required.
>
> All commets will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

gedit is a plain text editor and I don't think it is a good idea to make
it displaying  graphs, equations, etc.

If you want to propose a gedit related project for GSOC I think you can
find great ideas on http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins.

For example, it would be very nice to have a "no distraction" mode
similar to WriteRoom (http://hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom).

Another very nice project could be to write one or more plugins to solve
the "typing sucks" problem... i.e. to allow the users to write more text
in less time.