Re: [gedit-list] F11, bookmarks

On 03/06/2008 03:43:09 AM, Steve claimed:

-> The lack of answer is most probably because most of the gedit team
-> has
-> been pretty busy lately. I for instance don't even have internet at
-> home for a month or so.

whoa! i almost feel guilty! will we get to see anything interesting because of all this hustling?

not that i would ask for much.  gedit's great, thanks all.

-> What are you calling bookmarks ? often-used files ? or bookmarked
-> directories ? If it is the latter, you can customize it in the gnome
-> place menu or in the open dialog

ahh. I am sure i mean the latter (the only thing i notice which literally sez "Bookmarks"). I do not really run gnome, i use fvwm2 with gnome-settings-daemon on to control gtk2 stuff (which works fine). Probably i can grep around and find some files to adjust? In any case, since a default is "Desktop" (which otherwise serves no purpose for me), i've just stuck softlinks in there.

I know that gnome is a great and shiny thing, but is that kind of monolithic incorporation into a whole serving your users better (perhaps it is)? Please don't go too far down this road or people like me will be stuck out in the cold once it becomes impossible to run gnome apps outside of gnome itself. It would be very microsoftish, you know, to lead people into that, depriving them of choices and possibilities. And how many of them actual sit there and go "wow, i can set the bookmarks for EVERYTHING with one simple menu"?

eg, i notice the open dialog does have "add" and "remove" buttons under "place" but these are both always grayed out (i guess because of this...)

-> file an enhancement request
-> in
-> bugzilla.gnome.org in both cases.

will do! thanks again!