Re: [gedit-list] building local version of gedit

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 13:19 -0600, Don Hill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using SuSE SLED and unfortuenetly I would like to upgrade
> to a newer version of gedit, sled ships with 2.12, I think. Anyways it
> seems that gtksourveview and others are older revs then what is required
> for 2.20.x.
>
> Could someone point me to instructions on how I could build gedit in a
> local folder such that I don't overwrite the version installed by the OS
> and preserve older version of dependencies.

Be warned: building locally in a distro old like that can be painful.
You'll need to build a lot of updated dependencies: glib, gtk,
gnome-vfs, gtksourceview etc.

As mentioned by others, a somewhat less painful way may be to use a
script like garnome or jhbuild to build the whole thing, but if you're
just interested as a user and not as developer/tester I really suggest
you to simply update to a newer distro.

ciao

	Paolo