[gedit-list] save current file

Hello all,

Another ignorant question which my linux/gedit floundering cannot yet
answer:

For an External Tool, how to save/overwrite the current file with same
name before running command on it?

e.g. (You may have seen this before...):

#!/bin/sh
---> what goes in here to save current file? <---
mpost "$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME"

The result I seek is what happens with the LaTeX plugin: when a .tex
file is modified, it is saved prior to processing.

Speaking of the LaTeX plugin...Michael Z., any interest in adding
Metapost highlighting to gedit and/or commands in sidebar. (I offer to
do grunt work if guided, but as you can see by my question I am low
skill.)

Thanks, J