[gedit-list] gedit and ^m character

I wrote a bit of C code for a school assignment using gedit 2.20.1 .  at a
later date i opened the code using vi only to find everyline I modified
using gedit had the ^m at the end of the line... so I was wondering if
there's a way to modify the configuration of gedit so that doesn't happen.
Forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, because I'm
not very confident in my knowledge.  I'm a beginner at linux - gedit - c
programming...  any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.