[gedit-list] Gedit / Gnome Love Suggestion

Hi All,

I've recently started posting to this list, and am
keen to become involved in the open source community,
focussing on gnome initially. As you may have (but
probably haven't!) noticed, I'm interested in the
general design and usability of gedit. As a developer
by-day, however, I'm looking to get involved with the
code, beyond the basic compiling from garnome / cvs.

I've looked through bugzilla and read the gnome love
pages and identified an area of gedit I'd like to work
on. Unfortunately, I seem to be caught in a
developer's bermuda triangle between the
aforementioned compiling and the actual modification
of code. A big problem, I think, is simply navigation
of the codebase: I'm looking to find out how something
is implemented, start in one source file, find it's
maybe a global gnome issue, start wondering if it's
actually a gtk issue, etc.

My long-winded point is that the gnome / gedit
projects would almost certainly benefit from some kind
of 'mentoring' system. So, let's say, an experienced
gedit developer can offer advice, probably over direct
email to 3-4 new developers at a time. They'd be
willing to handle a series of problems posed by a
small group of users that might be annoying posted to
a large mailing list (because they would be fairly
frequent and probably quite repetitive), but would
likely be more varied and 'hands-on' on a much smaller
scale. Almost like traditional education: a smaller
ratio of students/teacher is usually more interesting
and productive for both parties.

Apologies for the 'me-me-me' post; hoping that someone
out there might think this worth considering.

- Bobby

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.