Re: [gedit-list] gedit user manual

Joachim Noreiko wrote:
Hi everyone

paolo mentioned on bugzilla that the gedit manual needs some attention.
I've been a member of the gnome documentation team for a while now, and I use gedit :) so I'd be happy to work on this.

Hi Joachim, this is awesome to hear :)

I've checked out the source from CVS, and no changes have been made in a long time. But before I start, I have a few questions...

Is there anyone else working in this area that I should combine my efforts with?
Not that I know of. From time to time someone drops by on irc saying that he'll try to update some of the docs, but I haven't seen anything done for real...

Are there any areas of the manual you'd like me to concentrate on first?
As I wrote in the bugreport I think the priority is to remove the outdated and sometimes wrong informations for the things that have changed in gedit 2.14. Apart from that I think that covering the new plugins is very important, in particular the External Tools and Snippet plugins which are very powerful but not obvious to use.

Are you planning on making any more 2.14.x releases? -- in other words, are there any deadlines I should aim towards so we can get better docs into the 2.14 version? (and what's the branch name for that?)
We generally stick to the GNOME schedule. I think there is a GNOME 2.14.3 scheduled at some point, though I am not sure when. We survived till today without an updated manual, so I don't think that the deadline is mandatory: take the time you need for the manual, we'll be happy to roll an extra tarball when it's ready so that it can be included in distribution that will use 2.14 (like debina and others).

I've taken a look at your roadmap on the wiki, and it seems there aren't major feature changes due for 2.16.
I'll be working from the 2.14 gedit that comes with Ubuntu Dapper. I can't compile from source, so if there's any 2.16 features you want me to look at I'll need either a binary, or someone who can *very* patiently walk me through jhbuild (which so far has always exploded at me, so be warned...)

Yes, 2.15 should not have any radical changes so working on 2.14 should be ok. One of the things we plan to add is a filetree plugin, but that should not affect the rest of the manual.
That saud, I'll be happy to help you with building from cvs if needed.

ciao
   paolo

cheers

Joachim