Re: [gedit-list] gedit user manual

Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> Hi everyone

Hello,

> Paolo mentioned on bugzilla that the gedit manual needs some attention.
> I've been a member of the gnome documentation team for a while now, and > I use gedit :) so I'd be happy to work on this.

Great! Welcome aboard, Joachim :-) We really need some good user docs!

> I've checked out the source from CVS, and no changes have been made in
> a long time. But before I start, I have a few questions...
>
> Is there anyone else working in this area that I should combine my
> efforts with?

I don't think anyone is working on it right now, at least no one that
I'm aware of.

> Are there any areas of the manual you'd like me to concentrate on first?

I'd say the most visible changes and the least discoverable features. It
includes in random order both panels, the incremental search (ctrl+k),
and the plugins.

> Are you planning on making any more 2.14.x releases? -- in other words,
> are there any deadlines I should aim towards so we can get better docs
> into the 2.14 version? (and what's the branch name for that?)

I don't think another release is planed, but I suppose everyone would't
be glad to make a release with usable docs ;-) Anyway, I think the
target is more likely to be 2.16.

> I've taken a look at your roadmap on the wiki, and it seems there aren't
> major feature changes due for 2.16.

IMO, the most major feature we could see is the switch to a new version
of gtksourceview, but at this time it's not sure yet it will be for
2.16. I'm also doing a few changes on the external tools plugin, so keep
this part for the end...

> I'll be working from the 2.14 gedit that comes with Ubuntu Dapper. I can't
> compile from source, so if there's any 2.16 features you want me to look
> at I'll need either a binary, or someone who can *very* patiently walk
> me through jhbuild (which so far has always exploded at me, so be warned...)

Currently you can build gedit 2.15.3 using only the packages from
Dapper. It doesn't depend on anything new from gnome 2.15, so just
doing apt-get build-dep gedit and then compiling it from the latest
tarball should do.