Re: [gedit-list] the 'find' dialog...

Hi Jesse,

Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:

>Op vr, 14-07-2006 te 14:06 +1000, schreef John Pye:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have some queries relating to Gedit 2.14.3 -- please let me know if
>>these have already been fixed in 2.15.4.
>>
>>Firstly, I wonder if there is any way that the ESC key could be bound to
>>close non-modal dialogs while editing. In particular, I often press
>>'ctrl-F' or 'ctrl-R' then I seem to click somewhere back in the main
>>window. This leaves me with an inactive window floating infront of my
>>editor. It seems unintuitive that I must again press 'ctrl-F' before I
>>can then press ESC to close that dialog. I often find myself pressing
>>ESC not realising that the window is unfocussed and therefore not
>>responsive - it's just one of those small irks that makes you want to
>>write an email to someone... :-)
>>

>I'm not sure if this is desired behavior. I for one wouldn't expect a
>non focused dialog to respond to any keypresses, but maybe that's just
>me.

I think that's a programmer's perspective. I think that a regular user
expects to press ESC when they want to 'get back to normal'. This
becomes one of those intuitive keypresses that you start making, even
though you know it's not how it was designed.

>>Secondly, I may have raised this issue before. I just wonder if there is
>>likely to be anyone working on adding regular expression search
>>capability to the Find and Replace dialogs? This would really be
>>super-useful.
>>

>I think gedit is waiting for gtktextview or gtksourceview to implement
>regex searching, or maybe it's a 'too-advanced-to-be-in-the-core'
>feature. What I do know is that there is a plugin around which does
>regex searching (see http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins ). I don't know
>how good it is, but you can give it a try.

I don't know how to use those plugins. There's no page on the wiki --
only a page about how to *write* plugins. Also, it would be great if
there were a standard installation process for all these: so way to
convert them into little RPMs or DEBs that people can install? I know, I
know, I should read the manual or the code or the wiki. I'm trying to be
an end user here!

Cheers
JP