From: Jessica Preston <jess fn com au>
To: John Pye <john pye student unsw edu au>
Subject: Re: [gedit-list] the 'find' dialog...
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:41:09 +1000

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 14:06 +1000, John Pye wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some queries relating to Gedit 2.14.3 -- please let me know if
> these have already been fixed in 2.15.4.
>
> Firstly, I wonder if there is any way that the ESC key could be bound to
> close non-modal dialogs while editing. In particular, I often press
> 'ctrl-F' or 'ctrl-R' then I seem to click somewhere back in the main
> window. This leaves me with an inactive window floating infront of my
> editor. It seems unintuitive that I must again press 'ctrl-F' before I
> can then press ESC to close that dialog. I often find myself pressing
> ESC not realising that the window is unfocussed and therefore not
> responsive - it's just one of those small irks that makes you want to
> write an email to someone... :-)
>
> Secondly, I may have raised this issue before. I just wonder if there is
> likely to be anyone working on adding regular expression search
> capability to the Find and Replace dialogs? This would really be
> super-useful.
>
> Cheers
> JP

I actually wrote a plugin back in the pre-python-plugin days to do a
regex search and replace for a client. They've not upgraded to the newer
gedit yet, so I haven't needed to redo the plugin yet. I have thought
about it, but I have only a little time. Would others find a regex
plugin useful?

I implemented this originally by adding an extra command line-like
widget to the window which allowed vim-like syntax (eg.
s/substr/replaceStr/g or /findme etc.)

It would probably be much better if the Find and Replace functionality
that already exists natively were to be able to do regex, though.

-jess