[gedit-list] a question about gedit/gtksourceview

I would like to ask you a question, Is is it possible to add support for
syntax highlighting in a new language? Do I need to recompile gedit for that?
(I'm planning to add support for GNU Octave)
Reading the sources it seems from gedit-languages-manager.c that the list
of languages in Vie/Highlight mode is generated on the flight
However, I don't understand how this works. how does gtk_source_view knows
where to search for the .lang files?
Thank you

Pablo De Nápoli