Re: [gedit-list] Re: Other comment on GtkSourceView (and the turbo patch)

Hi Jeroen,

> > > I'd like
> > > to start making glimmer depend on the new code.
> >
> > You could start to work on a new branch (of glimmer).
>
> Yeah, i suppose i'll do that. Do you know how merging changes from a
> branch into HEAD works? I've never done that myself.

Yes, I already did it and it is quite easy. It is all a CVS magic :-)

> > > On a side note, how is your coding going on the new .lang format?
> >
> > You can see my code on CVS. I have started writing the new parser but it
> > still isn't complete.
> > I'm not very happy when the API of GtkSourceLanguage and
> > GtkSourceTagStyle since it does not manage objects life cycle in a sane
> > way. I'm going to modify it adding a GtkSourceLanguagesManager class
> > that will have the responsibility the GtkSourceLanguage objects life
> > cycle.
>
> I'm a little unclear about this item: is this the "move .lang glimmer
> stuff into gtksourceview" item? If so, great, i'll review what's in cvs
> asap. If not, how does this fit in the bigger picture?

It is "move .lang glimmer stuff into gtksourceview with a new and
improved API" :-) Please, try to give a look at it if you have time.

> > > I'd like to synchronize our glimmer efforts.
> > >
> > > What items remain that need to be moved into gtksourceview?
> >
> > - the undo manager must be fixed (i.e. synchronized with the gedit's
> > one)
> > - the markers stuff has still to be reviewed
> > - I'd like to move some code from GeditView to GtkSourceView
> > - the glimmer's .lang files should be ported to the new format
> > - adding support for style themes (it is really needed? You have it in
> > glimmer)
>
> Style themes should probably stay in glimmer, since it's better suited
> to pure development tools instead of more general editors like gedit.

hmmm... I was thinking about putting it in GtkSourceView but not using
it in gedit.

> > > Is printing
> > > source code common enough between gedit & glimmer that we can move it
> > > into gtksourceview?
> >
> > Yes, we could try to move it to gtksourceview.
> > The gedit printing code is quite good but it has bugs with non latin
> > language (but we could fix it later) and, clearly, it does not support
> > syntax highlighting.
>
> Agreed. Using the gedit code is probably the sanest choice. The glimmer
> code hasn't gotten a lot of attention, so it's probably full of bugs.
>
> Printing syntax highlighted code is probably something for the future.

Ok! Have you time to move it? And eventually moving the undo manager
code too.

Ciao,

Paolo Maggi                      E-mail: paolo DOT maggi AT polito DOT it
Dip. Automatica e Informatica    Tel.  : + 39 011 564 7078
Politecnico di Torino            Fax   : + 39 011 564 7099

A Bugless Program is an Abstract Theoretical Concept.