Re: [gedit-list] dynamically loadable plugins

Hi Jacob,

> So I guess what I meant was plugins that could be built separately from
> gedit, maybe given an include file and/or shared object.  Right now it
> seems that the plugins need to be distributed with gedit in order to
> compile them.

Yes, ATM they need to be distributed with gedit. But as I told, it
should not be difficult to overcome this problem. It only requires to
export a selection of current header files.

> I'm currently the lead dev/manager for seahorse and would like to
> eventually be able to distribute a gedit plugin (would be used for crypto
> related text operations) that would make use of seahorse libraries and/or
> bonobo components.

Actually, you should be able to obtain the same result using the "Run
command" plugin and the in the future the still-to-be-written "Tools"
plugin. Note also that gedit exports a simple CORBA interface.

> Because of the plugin's dependency on seahorse, it
> seems like it would be better if it was not distributed with gedit, and
> could instead be installed by seahorse and loaded into gedit at runtime by
> the user.

Right. It would be really cool.

> This way users wouldn't have to leave their favorite text
> editor to encrypt/sign their data with gnupg.
> I hope this at least could be possible, please let me know if it is not.

Yep, this is possible. The only problem is plugin compilation.

Ciao,