Re: [gedit-list] dynamically loadable plugins

> Hi Jacob.
>> Is gedit planning on supporting dynamically loadable plugins?
>
> gedit already support them.
>
>> Plugins also wouldn't have to be distributed
>> with gedit, which could allow for more diversity.
>
> ATM, gedit's plugins has to be distributed with gedit itself but it
> should not be too difficult to overcome this limitation.
> If you would like to help, this is probably an area from which you can
> start.
> Let us know if you are interested in working on gedit we really need
> help.

So I guess what I meant was plugins that could be built separately from
gedit, maybe given an include file and/or shared object.  Right now it
seems that the plugins need to be distributed with gedit in order to
compile them.
I'm currently the lead dev/manager for seahorse and would like to
eventually be able to distribute a gedit plugin (would be used for crypto
related text operations) that would make use of seahorse libraries and/or
bonobo components.  Because of the plugin's dependency on seahorse, it
seems like it would be better if it was not distributed with gedit, and
could instead be installed by seahorse and loaded into gedit at runtime by
the user.  This way users wouldn't have to leave their favorite text
editor to encrypt/sign their data with gnupg.
I hope this at least could be possible, please let me know if it is not.
While I would love to help out with this capability, all my extra time is
currently devoted to seahorse.