Re: [Geary] Ability to set inbox

Hi Sassan,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 11:08 PM, Sassan Haradji <sassanh gmail com> wrote:
That feature request is a little bit different, my request is about notifications, not the default selected folder when Geary starts up.

Oh I see. Well those two things are generally related, because to get push notifications for new mail using IMAP, Geary must keep open a connection open to a specific folder, and so Geary does just that for the default folder (currently the Inbox).

However the tabbed categories under GMail (Primary, Social, etc.) are more complicated since GMail synthesises these from messages in all of your folders, and does not export these via IMAP - so there's just no way for Geary to get to them. The only thing we do get is access to labels, including the Inbox and Important labels. These all show up as individual IMAP folders in Geary.

So to get what you are looking for depends on what you have configured for the Primary category in GMail. If it's just messages in Important, then Bug 713964 would help since you could configure Important as the default folder, and hence Geary would watch for new mail arriving there and notify you.

If your Primary tab contains messages that are e.g. a mix of unread, important, starred, etc, then I think the only solution is to set up a filter to update a label on messages in that category (e.g. as described here <https://dylanconlin.svbtle.com/exposing-gmails-categories-to-imap>), then use that label's folder as the default (i.e. still needing Bug 713964 fixed).

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>