Re: [Geary] Recently Installed 0.6.0

Hi Xavier,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 5:08 AM, Xavier Johnson <plan2wealth gmail com> wrote:
I installed Geary 0.6.0 today through the Ubuntu Software Center. I did not realize that the Ubuntu Software Center was going to install version 0.6.0 instead of the latest version that has the security fix. Can you share with me what the security fix was? Thanks in advance.

You should either be running at least Geary 0.6.3, or Geary >= 0.8.3. You can check exactly what version you have installed by launching Geary, then selecting About from the app menu.

The 0.6.3 fix notifies the user when an invalid TLS certificate is presented by a server, notifying you of man-in-the-middle and related attacks.

The 0.8.3 fix prevents SSLv3 being negotiated with the server, to prevent Poodle-style attacks.

In any case, I suggest you add the official Geary Release PPA to your system to get a much more recent version installed: <https://launchpad.net/~geary-team/+archive/ubuntu/releases>

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.