Re: [Geary] Symbolic Icon

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Michael Gratton <mike vee net> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Stephen Michel <stephen michel tufts edu> wrote:
[1]: a png and the svg source: http://stephenmichel.me/geary/

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Federico Bruni <fede inventati org> wrote:
I think that a possible problem with the current icon is that the two lines (and spaces) below the letter take almost half of the icon height, therefore making the letter small. While the letter is the item in the icon which, of course, communicates the meaning most.

Yep, I agree about the small size of the envelope in icon, but I do also like the design of the current colour one as well.

For that reason, I'm personally in favour of the two right-most icons in the top row. They retain the feel of the colour icon well, while also enlarging the envelope compared to the existing symbolic icon.

Anyone else want to join in the bikeshead? :)

I agree with Mike that it is important to retain the feel of the color icon. I also think that is is a good thing to use the entire space available for a symbolic icon. However, I think Federico's point is more important than either: the most important job of the symbolic icon is to communicate the meaning quickly.

In order to do that, the icon must be simple enough to recognize at a glance, and we get that through emphasizing the key features. Over the past few weeks I've used several versions. The easiest to recognize was the one directly under the color icon. I've gone ahead and made a second version of the icon which is a blend of that one and the icon in the upper right corner. It's at the same url, quoted above.

I should clarify that the envelope is the same size in all of the iterations, including this one, because I didn't want to touch the dimensions/ratio. There's a bit of room to play around with this version of the icon, and I do think it would be beneficial to shrink the bottom line a little and make the envelope have a slightly larger height. I'll see if I can find time to do that cleanly later this week. I'll also experiment with wider lines on the envelope.