[Geary] How does Geary get my Google contacts?

Hi,

After having set up Gmail in Geary I seem to have all my Google contacts available for auto-complete in the To: field.  Is Geary getting the contacts directly from my Google account? If so, when and how often does it sync with Google? I am trying to replace Evolution using Geary and California, but need to understand how contact access works. I'm running with the daily PPA which works without any significant problems.

Regards/Hilsen Christian