Re: [gdm-list] Logout script does not always complete -- Note

Quoting Jaap Winius <jwinius umrk nl>:

On the other hand, today I was thinking that this might have something to do with dependency based booting, so I added .legacy-bootordering (an empty file) to the /etc/init.d/ directory to disable it. And, it worked!

Actually, it didn't work, because I had stupidly run that last test with the 10-second sleep commented out. When I uncommented it and ran the test again, the script failed.

However, I was on the right path... kind of. The same test succeeded with a 5-second sleep, as well as with 6, 7 and 8 second sleeps. It finally failed at 9 seconds.

When I ran these same tests again, but without the .legacy-bootordering file, the best I could do was 5 seconds, with the test failing after a 6-second sleep.

Since even 5 seconds should be more than enough time for my logout script to run, I have to conclude that, either there's an important difference that I've overlooked between my test setup and the actual workstations, or something is causing my logout scripts to take too long to complete. Right now I figure the latter is the more likely explanation.

Cheers,

Jaap