[gdm-list] org.gnome.DisplayManager

For no apparent reason my Ubuntu 10.04 no longer starts the GUI after booting.

/etc/gdm/custom.conf seems fine but gdmsetup won't let me do anything.

It says:

** (gdmsetup:1908): WARNING **: Failed to unlock: The name
org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files

I have no idea what this means but I don't really want to format my
hard drive and reinstall everything if it's only going to happen
again.

Suggestions how to make it work again would be welcome :)