Re: [gdm-list] Password complexity not enforced at the gdm login screen (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Talati, Kamal P CTR DISA PEO-C2C
>    I am having issues with enforcing the password complexity rules
>    if the following actions are taken:
>
>       - After logging in with a non-root user on a Solaris 10 server,
> and then forcing the user's password
>         to expire so that that it has change it on the next login (
> passwd -f "username")
>
>       - logging out
>
>       - and then logging back as the same user, prompts to change to a
> new password.
>
>             -- at this point, any password can be entered without
> enforcing any of
>                the complexity rules
>
>    After reviewing the gdm archives, I understand that gdm is just a
> pass-through for the
>    username/password combo and pam.conf is the configuration file for
> setting the password
>    complexity.

Right, this isn't enforced by GDM.  This is wholly controlled by PAM.
GDM plays no part in it (other than to tell PAM "Okay, do your thing
now").  This means your PAM configuration is probably not exactly set
up the way you want.  The specific details of PAM configuration vary
from distro to distro, so your best bet would be to contact Sun/Oracle
support.

Have a nice day,
--Ray