Re: [gdm-list] how to use authentication feature of GDM in a screen saver

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 02:02:20PM -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi kde org> wrote:
> > what one really wants is effectively requesting a new x server within
> > the existing server. [...]
>
> Well this is sounding a lot more like wayland than an X extension...

that wouldn't help with remote displays. this is really about securing
the x display, not the layers below it.
if the DMs will start managing purely wayland-based sessions one day,
the topic will need to be revisited.

> > the problem about trying to add more general solutions which aim at
> > particular aspects is that there will be always something new you
> > have to deal with in some more or less sophisticated way. by having
> > this context separation extension, this burden would be shifted to
> > the x server, once and for all.
>
> Sure, it's just a question of what's tractable, I guess.

yes, but assuming that *something* has to be done anyway, it would be
probably wiser to try "the real thing" rather than however many partial
solutions (all of which would need work both on the x and the dm side).
you guys are in a good position to give it some thought and pull the
levers to actually make it happen.