[gdm-list] how to use authentication feature of GDM in a screen saver

Hi maitainers of gdm,

I am a developer from Desktop team of SUN. We plan to implement screen saver support for gdm. Currently, I am trying to integrate GUI from gnome-screensaver with PAM implemented in GDM and had a problem.

As you know, GDM provides PAM feature through GreeterServer DBus interface to simple greeter dialog and I want to use it as the authentication backend for screen saver. But this interface is not a public one. To call methods provided by GreeterServer, the client has to connect to a private bus whose address can only be obtained through a shell environment variable in login session. After the login, the variable is gone .

The solution I currently have is to add a DBus method (in SimpleSlave maybe) which the screen saver process can call to obtain the private bus address, then the process can use the address to connect to GreeterServer and do authentication staff. But I am not sure if this is a good idea because any process in the session can obtain the address and may monitor the traffic on the bus. So I wan to know if this is a acceptable solution for the community or if there are any better ones?

Thanks,

Jedy