Re: [gdm-list] No .Xauthority in home directory.

Hi,

>   I found gdm 2.24.x saves cookies in
> /var/run/gdm/auth-for-user-XXXX/database, but not in ~/.Xauthority as gdm
> 2.20.x does. However,  it will be a problem if you want to launcher an
> application on remote display, as after ssh-login, X applications try to get
> the cookie from non-existing ~/.Xauthority.
This shouldn't be a problem.  ssh generates its own authorization
cookie.  the XAUTHORITY environment is properly set, also.

Placing the cookie in ~/.Xauthority breaks some set ups (with nfs
mounted home directories).

We used to have an option NeverPlaceCookiesOnNFS or something, but it
might as well have been called UnbreakMe.

If the issue is that you want to be able to access a display for your
username without setting XAUTHORITY then one approach some distros use
is to call

xhost +si:localuser:$(whoami)

or some such in the Xsession or xinitrc.d scripts.  This says "If a
client connects to the display via a unix domain socket and the peer
credentials on that socket match the user who started the X server,
then grant the client access".

I though opensuse already did this trick, so I'm a little surprised
your're running into issues.

--Ray