Re: [gdm-list] No .Xauthority in home directory.

Yes, I know X11 forwarding, I just want to know whether gdm's behaviour follows the X's specification, as all the applications try to get authorization through ~/.Xauthority by default. And depending on XAUTHORITY env will break the authorization.

Another use case is:

In KDM & XDM:
1. Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login as the same as GUI user.
2. DISPLAY=:0 xeyes.

3. Ctrl+Alt+F7. xeyes shows.
3. xauth list.  about 4 cookies show.

In gdm 2.24.x:
1. Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login.
2. DISPLAY=:0 xeyes.  No Xauthority file found.
3. xauth list. No Xauthority file found.

BR,

Mingxi

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Ming Xi Wu <mxwu novell com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I found gdm 2.24.x saves cookies in
> /var/run/gdm/auth-for-user-XXXX/database, but not in ~/.Xauthority as gdm
> 2.20.x does. However,  it will be a problem if you want to launcher an
> application on remote display, as after ssh-login, X applications try to get
> the cookie from non-existing ~/.Xauthority.  It is a different behaviour
> from other display managers, such as KDM and XDM.
>
>  Let me clarify the problem more clearly:
>
> In KDM & XDM:
>
> 1. ssh login to localhost
>
> 2.  DISPLAY=:0 xeyes.  It works.
>
> 3. xauth list.  about 4 cookies show.
>
> In gdm 2.24.x:
>
> 1. ssh login to localhost
>
> 2. DISPLAY=:0 xeyes.  No Xauthority file found.
>
> 3. xauth list. No Xauthority file found.

Does it work if you do "ssh -X localhost" or "ssh -Y localhost"? ssh
sets up .Xauthority and DISPLAY for you when you use X11 forwarding.

--
Dan