Re: [gdm-list] Multiseat: gdmgreeter does not start on the first server

Paul:

I see in my own log: http://server.vandervlis.nl/syslog4
Attempting to parse key string: daemon/VTAllocation=true
This is normal.  It is just telling you that the default value is
"true".  However, if you set it to "false" in the configuration file,
it will override this default.  Yes, it is a little confusing.

In the case of "flexible" I see also the custom setting:
... server-Standard0/flexible=false<custom>

That looks right to me.

But.. VTAllocation was really turned off at that time (in the [daemon]
part of my gdm.conf). I don't understand that...
Note that you need to restart GDM (by rebooting or running gdm-restart)
after changing the configuration.  Otherwise the daemon won't recognize
the changes.  So make sure you do that.

I do that with '/etc/init.d/gdm stop' via ssh.
Then I check if gdm is running with 'ps aux | grep gdm'.
Then I start gdm with '/etc/init.d/gdm start'.

That should be okay.

Looking at the log I see:

Apr 29 10:43:31 server gdm[16598]: DEBUG: Got config
server-Standard0/command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -layout seat0 vt7<custom>

Apr 29 10:43:31 server gdm[16598]: DEBUG: Got config
server-Standard1/command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -layout seat1 vt8<custom>

gdm_server_spawn: '/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -layout seat0 vt7 -auth
/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp'

gdm_server_spawn: '/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -layout seat1 vt8 -auth
/var/lib/gdm/:1.Xauth -nolisten tcp'

So, it seems that your configuration is still specifying that you are
using VT displays.  If you hardcode "vt7" and "vt8" in the command,
then it will use VT even if you disable automatic VT use in GDM by
turning off VTAllocation.  Note that VT only works on the console
display, and does not work on multiple displays.  At the very least, I
think display :1 should not have any vt arguments if you want this to
work.

I have removed the 'vt7' and 'vt8' from the command's in the gdm config,
but display :0 still does not show a visuable gdmgreeter.

Try keeping the vt setting for one display but not the other.  Note
that VT only works on the main console display, but not for additional
displays.  So it is okay to specify a vt setting on the main display.

I told before that Xorg did not start on :0. That was wrong, Xorg does
start, but directly a program (gdmgreeter, I expect) is starting what
creates a blank screen.

This seems like speculation to me.  Note that your Xserver configuration
is what maps particular displays to DISPLAY values like :0 and :1.  It
is possible that your Xserver is confused and mapping one of the
displays incorrectly to /dev/null or a VT that isn't visible by
default or something.

It might be best to take GDM out of the equation and verify that your
Xorg configuration is correct.  You can run the Xservers from the
command line by hand, when GDM isn't running.  If you run the Xserver
commands like this, the Xserver should display a gray screen to each
display.  You may need to write a script to launch the Xservers this
way, or

/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -nolisten tcp
/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -nolisten tcp

Or you could try running the xinit script for each display like
this:

xinit :0
xinit :1

This should be a bit more usable since it will launch a terminal
program along with the Xserver.  You can refer to "man xinit".  Note
the xinit command should just run "/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0" which should
also be a fine test.

This is basically what GDM does for you.  So, it is good to verify
that it works without GDM as well.  If it doesn't work, you may need
to play with your xorg.conf file or the commands you are using to launch
X to get it to work.

Once you know that the Xserver is configured properly and is working
with two displays; then getting it to launch via GDM should be easier.

When I do a "ps aux" (via ssh) I see 2 gdmgreeter's running, but the
gdmgreeter on :0 gives only a blank screen. On :1 everything is OK.

Also, you need to make sure that your xorg.conf file correctly maps
display :0 and display :1 to the two displays.

So far I know I do that. When I turn off :1 then :0 works fine.

I am not sure if this is a valid test that your xorg.conf file is
correct.  The test I suggest above is probably a better test.

Brian