Re: [gdm-list] Multiseat: gdmgreeter does not start on the first server

Brian Cameron schreef:

> Paul:
>
>> I see in my own log: http://server.vandervlis.nl/syslog4
>> Attempting to parse key string: daemon/VTAllocation=true
>
> This is normal.  It is just telling you that the default value is
> "true".  However, if you set it to "false" in the configuration file,
> it will override this default.  Yes, it is a little confusing.

In the case of "flexible" I see also the custom setting:
... server-Standard0/flexible=false <custom>

>> But.. VTAllocation was really turned off at that time (in the [daemon]
>> part of my gdm.conf). I don't understand that...
>
> Note that you need to restart GDM (by rebooting or running gdm-restart)
> after changing the configuration.  Otherwise the daemon won't recognize
> the changes.  So make sure you do that.

I do that with '/etc/init.d/gdm stop' via ssh.
Then I check if gdm is running with 'ps aux | grep gdm'.
Then I start gdm with '/etc/init.d/gdm start'.

> Looking at the log I see:
>
> Apr 29 10:43:31 server gdm[16598]: DEBUG: Got config
> server-Standard0/command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -layout seat0 vt7 <custom>
>
> Apr 29 10:43:31 server gdm[16598]: DEBUG: Got config
> server-Standard1/command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -layout seat1 vt8 <custom>
>
> gdm_server_spawn: '/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -layout seat0 vt7 -auth
> /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp'
>
> gdm_server_spawn: '/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -layout seat1 vt8 -auth
> /var/lib/gdm/:1.Xauth -nolisten tcp'
>
> So, it seems that your configuration is still specifying that you are
> using VT displays.  If you hardcode "vt7" and "vt8" in the command,
> then it will use VT even if you disable automatic VT use in GDM by
> turning off VTAllocation.  Note that VT only works on the console
> display, and does not work on multiple displays.  At the very least, I
> think display :1 should not have any vt arguments if you want this to
> work.

I have removed the 'vt7' and 'vt8' from the command's in the gdm config,
but display :0 still does not show a visuable gdmgreeter.

I told before that Xorg did not start on :0. That was wrong, Xorg does
start, but directly a program (gdmgreeter, I expect) is starting what
creates a blank screen.

When I do a "ps aux" (via ssh) I see 2 gdmgreeter's running, but the
gdmgreeter on :0 gives only a blank screen. On :1 everything is OK.

> Also, you need to make sure that your xorg.conf file correctly maps
> display :0 and display :1 to the two displays.

So far I know I do that. When I turn off :1 then :0 works fine.

gdm.conf: http://server.vandervlis.nl/xorg.conf5
xorg.conf: http://server.vandervlis.nl/xorg.conf5
syslog: http://server.vandervlis.nl/syslog5
Xorg.0.log: http://server.vandervlis.nl/Xorg.0.org5

I don't change this file, but it can be important:
defaults.conf: http://server.vandervlis.nl/defaults.conf

Met vriendelijke groet,
Paul van der Vlis.

--