Re: [gdm-list] gdm username history

Bob Doolittle a écrit :
Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Jehan PROCACCIA
<Jehan Procaccia it-sudparis eu> wrote:
Hello, since we updated our 200 machines parc to fedora-9 and
gdm-2.22.0-8.fc9.i386, username login history keeps growing on the login
console .
It has a very anoying drawback to keep autofs homedirs to be present in /etc/mtab and hence generating every minutes a umount/mount due to the use of autofs/nfs homedir . Then the nfs server is overloaded by rpc.mountd and
everything becomes very slow.

How can I tell GDM not to keep an history of previously login users ?
I think the quick and dirty way is to make /var/log/ConsoleKit/history
non-writable

Please do file a bug in any case. You're not the only person affected by this. This will be a big issue when GDM is used for multi-user systems such as thin client servers which may have hundreds of users and on which display numbers may be assigned non-deterministically. There needs to be a way to turn off login history within gdm.

-Bob

Good, erasing or reduce mode access to /var/log/ConsoleKit/history might be a workaround .

In the mean time I found this from http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/stable/overview.html "The Face Browser is the interface which allows users to select their username by clicking on an image. This feature can be enabled or disabled via the /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list GConf key and is on by default. "

Then I tried to set that "key" (disable_user_list) with gconf-editor with no sucess :-(
here's a possible patch, but I haven't tried yet
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-commits/2008-May/msg02028.html

%changelog
+* Thu May  8 2008 Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> - 1:2.22.0-6
+- Add a GConf key to disable the user list

If someone succeed in setting "disable_user_list" please let us know .