Re: [gdm-list] gdm username history

Hi Jon,

William Jon McCann wrote:
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Bob Doolittle <Robert Doolittle sun com> wrote:
Please do file a bug in any case. You're not the only person affected by
this. This will be a big issue when GDM is used for multi-user systems such
as thin client servers which may have hundreds of users and on which display
numbers may be assigned non-deterministically. There needs to be a way to
turn off login history within gdm.
Have you tried this or are you just speculating?

I'm speculating at this point, since ConsoleKit hasn't yet been adapted to our thin client model (I think - I haven't been involved with that aspect).

Done correctly, this
system should be split into different seats.  ConsoleKit history is
per seat.  So, it should not be a big issue.

How do you define a "seat"?

There's nothing fixed in a typical thin client model. A given thin client can be used to host any number of sessions over time, for any number of users. Each session will get a display number assigned on the fly based on whatever is free at the time. At my company, we have "flex offices" which are assigned on demand to whomever needs a space, so people are highly mobile wrt where they physically may create or access their session. Multiple people may have sessions which were originally created on a particular thin client, and are later accessed on different thin clients. At any given point in time, a session can be connected to any client, or can disconnected and waiting to be connected to a thin client somewhere. Any sort of login history here is meaningless, except from an accounting/auditing perspective, so ideally it could be turned off.

-Bob