Re: [gdm-list] gdm username history

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Bob Doolittle <Robert Doolittle sun com> wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Jehan PROCACCIA
>> <Jehan Procaccia it-sudparis eu> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello, since we updated our 200 machines parc to fedora-9 and
>>> gdm-2.22.0-8.fc9.i386, username login history keeps growing on the login
>>> console .
>>> It has a very anoying drawback to keep autofs  homedirs to be present in
>>>  /etc/mtab and hence generating every minutes a umount/mount due to the
>>> use
>>> of autofs/nfs homedir . Then the nfs server is overloaded by rpc.mountd
>>> and
>>> everything becomes very slow.
>>>
>>> How can I tell GDM not to keep an history of previously login users ?
>>>

>> I think the quick and dirty way is to make /var/log/ConsoleKit/history
>> non-writable
>
> Please do file a bug in any case. You're not the only person affected by
> this. This will be a big issue when GDM is used for multi-user systems such
> as thin client servers which may have hundreds of users and on which display
> numbers may be assigned non-deterministically. There needs to be a way to
> turn off login history within gdm.

Have you tried this or are you just speculating?  Done correctly, this
system should be split into different seats.  ConsoleKit history is
per seat.  So, it should not be a big issue.

For now, the configuration option is making the log file -rw.  If that
doesn't work then that is a bug.

Feel free to file a bug anyway of course.

Thanks,
Jon