Re: [gdm-list] how to control Xsession

Many many thanks. It works.

Ondra K.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

Ondra:

Normally how this works is you create a desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions, one for each desktop you wish to support.
The desktop file specifies how to start the session.  Session
isn't normally controlled by the /etc/gdm/Xsession script.  Instead
GDM passes the Xsession script the session startup command from
the /usr/share/xsessions desktop file that corresponds with the
session the user has picked.

Then users can choose the session they want to use in the GDM
"Session dialog".  GDM remembers your last session, so each user
should only need to specify the session they want to use the first
time they login.  If they change the value, then GDM will remember
the new value.

This is the easiest way you can support different sessions for
different users.

Brian

For one user, I need to configure fvwm, others are OK with gnome. I
understood that /etc/gdm/Xsession script controls it (in the default
configuration). However, I got lost about how parameters are passed to this
script and how the parameters can be different for different users. Gdm
documentation is very brief about it.

What I can do if I want fvwm for one user, and gnome for others?

I am not subsribed to the list, could I be cced, please?