[gdm-list] HELP with X Server

Please, I have a problem with my linux operating system.
I installed ubuntu linux on my hard drive on a HP computer (a friend's computer) and everything works fine (except the touchpad),
now i removed the hard drive to a Toshiba computer, the system boots ok but when it tries to show the login screen, it shows an error message saying "Failed to start the X server".
I would have just installed the ubuntu directly on my system but i have a cdrom problem.

I'd be glad to get help.

Thanks in advance.

Ibrahim.