Re: [gdm-list] Branch update

Hi,

On 10/3/07, Loïc Minier <lool dooz org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > Ray, Loic, Lucasz?  It would be good to get feedback from you about
> > your experience with the new branch and what you think about how
> > things are going, etc.
>
>  I am afraid I couldn't test it much: I just switched job today and it
>  will keep me busy.  However I did give some thoughts to integration in
>  distros and there are IMO two major things to tackle:
>  - how to bring the new gdm at a larger scale in distros:
>    * a gdm3 module completely parallel installable with the current gdm
>      would make it easy to test the new code in distros and only move
>      from one implementation to another when it's ready;
>    * the alternate way would be to push it to experimental repos, but
>      that gets less testing
>  - how to have a clean upgrade path: what features will be missing, how
>    to update the config, artworks etc., how to upgrade gdm from /within/
>    a gdm session

So, for Fedora I was planning on branching gdm for Fedora 9 a little
early and getting a snapshot built, so when rawhide cuts over after F8
is released, it would already be there waiting (and people could grab
the package from the build system in the mean time if they wanted to).

I don't like the idea of parallel installable packages.  It's just
extra overhead.  Having old gdm and new gdm installed at the same time
doesn't really make sense.  They both serve the same function.

--Ray