Re: [gdm-list] Branch update

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:38:53AM -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
>>   3. A freedesktop.org project
> If other communities (e.g. KDE) are enthusiastic about working
> together to create a single display manager to rule them all,

to a certain degree.
there is some desire to get rid of the (by now remotely) xdm-based
backend. it isn't that strong, though.

an actual common project would be faced with certain management
difficulties - the backend + a desktop's frontend(s) need to be released
with the desktop itself (at least for kde) - i don't think kdm having
"extragear-character" would be that welcomed.

dependency-wise it is clear that the backend must not use more than glib
(and gobject, if it must be) from the gnome side (yeah, yeah, we don't
care how *you* see glib ;). libintl, xlib (and xcb), some minor libs -
that's it.
backend configuration must be somehow obtained from the frontend (be it
an object from the frontend side being linked into the backend). kdm
does this for ages, btw.

some random thoughts:
- after reading the status updates i found that you repeated quite some
  of my thoughts (most of which i never put into practice :}). :-)
  you may want to read the kdm todo, too:
  http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kdm/TODO?view=markup
- i always thought gdm's internal ipc over the fully-fledged socket
  protocol is completely overengineered. d-bus is taking this to another
  level ...
  communication with the outside is another thing - i've been
  considering d-bus since its early days. so far, it wasn't that
  pressing, though.
- oh, well, we can discuss the technical details another time.

two things should be clear to you:
- i accept no regressions from current kdm
- the bulk of the work would be with you, at least for now

> I have cc:ed Oswald Buddenhagen, the KDM maintainer,

no, you bcc'd me, which isn't very clever for spam classification
reasons. ;)