Re: [gdm-list] face-browser proposal for new gdm

Am Freitag, den 23.11.2007, 11:31 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:

> >         https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/GdmFaceBrowser
> >

> Looks nice, indeed.

Thanks!

>  I didn't see any kind of keyboard focus indication
> in the screenshots, but I'm sure
> that is just an oversight.

	Well that's due to it being only mockups at the moment and no working
code yet. Furthermore I don't want to spend all my time on just drawing
exact mockups :)

> It also wasn't clear to me from the
> screenshots how switching from face
> browser to regular login is supposed to work.

	Either via explicit system-administrator actions via gdm-setup or
whatever the tool might be called in the new gdm. Or implicitly by more
than 100 local users or no local users at all.

>  Our own ideas in this
> area were to make the face brower
> show local users plus non-local users that have logged into the
> machine recently, and then have an
> "Other..." entry.

	The security-sensitive folks from debian/ubuntu/elsewhere told me, that
non-local users should not be exposed via the face-browser at all. I
welcome that as it will save me a lot of headaches thinking of making
some 1000+ user-photos stream nicely via the network onto a 6 year-old
laptop with integrated graphics :)

My current lowest GPU-target is something like the i915.

> But finding this
> "Theme-support was based on a XML-file in the old gdm. This should be
> taken over to the new gdm."
> in the text has me concerned. I hope you don't mean that the new greeter should
> read the same xml format that the current greeter was using for themes ?
> Getting rid of that format is one of my personal hopes for a new greeter...

	Ah... that is pleasant news to me :) I am always open to better and new
things. Especially considering the work I had when I did the first
GL-based face-browser in the old gdm. There I stuck to the XML-format
theme-file and well... it worked but I did not enjoy that.

Best regards...

Mirco