Re: [gdm-list] face-browser proposal for new gdm

Mirco:

This looks great, by the way.  I know I have provided you with help in
the past to get this working with gdmgreeter themes.  You are probably
aware that GDM 2.21 has been rewritten, and gdmgreeter hasn't yet been
ported to the new infrastructure.  I'm not sure if it will be ported,
really.

So, it might be necessary for you to rework how it integrates with the
latest code, if you haven't taken care of this already.

As long as the changes don't affect string freeze, I'd be willing to
add improved Face Browser to the old GDM 2.20 gdmgreeter when you have
the code in a reasonable state.  If there are string changes, I'd bet
it wouldn't be hard to get approval to make such changes in the GDM
2.20 branch.

Though, it might make more sense to just move forward with GDM 2.21
rather than messing further with the old gdmgreeter?

Brian

	I have been busy thinking about how to improve the face-browser for
gdm. Both in terms of usability and appeal. The current face-browser is
sort of unattractive to use and look at these days. I am convinced a
change is justified and we can do better.

Please have a look at...

	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GdmFaceBrowser

... to get an idea what I am planning to implement (there are
screen-mockups). Although the spec is not approved yet, I still wanted
to inform everybody in a public fashion early on.

	Seeing the efforts, which I will be putting into it, moving upstream in
the end is big on my wishlist.

	Some might remember a "rumor" that this has been in the works in the
past. That is kind of true. But it was just spare-time work and fighting
with GnomeCanvas in order to get smooth GL working in it was not a fun
experience at all. Therefore I tried to keep it "under the rader". This
time around circumstances have changed... a lot. I am much more
confident now.
Best regards...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller