[gdm-list] gconf lockdown

(forwarding to list because I clicked the wrong reply button)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ray Strode <halfline gmail com>
Date: Nov 12, 2007 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [gdm-list] gconf lockdown
To: Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>

Hi,

> I have patched my gdm to reenable the panel and activate the power
> manager, and played around a bit with gconf settings to prevent
> things that we can't allow on a login screen, such as running
> browsers, mail clients or file choosers . I also included some
> settings that
> make metacity more suitable for a login screen scenario, such as
> having only a single workspace.
Cool.  Thanks for looking into this.  I guess something like this is
an important prerequisite for g-p-m and network manager integration.

Right now gdm defaults to compiz.  We should make sure the settings
are right for it, too. We'll need to make sure we start compiz with
the glib and gconf plugins to get gconf configurability.

> I've attached a tarball containing the gconf database I ended up with.
> There is certainly more that needs to be done, but I think what I
> have now is good enough to turn the panel back on.
Probably the best way to distribute this (in subversion I mean) is as
an xml dump in a data/mandatory-settings.entries file or similiar.

The tarball can be turned into that format by doing:

tar vxf gdm-gconf.tar.gz
export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=:xml:readonly:$PWD/.gconf /

--Ray

to	Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>,
date	Nov 12, 2007 1:31 AM
subject	Re: [gdm-list] gconf lockdown

> tar vxf gdm-gconf.tar.gz
> export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=:xml:readonly:$PWD/.gconf /
The above line should be:

export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=:xml:readonly:$PWD/.gconf
gconftool-2 --dump --direct --config-source=$GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE /

Not sure what happened there...

--Ray