Re: [gdm-list] problem with dircolors

Clive:

This seems very distro specific.  It might be better to work with your
distro to fix /etc/profile rather than hacking GDM in a distro specific
way.  I don't think setting TERM=linux is very portable.  Looking at
an older version of GDM (2.14 and 2.16) I don't see GDM's Xsession
script setting TERM.  So perhaps your distro used to apply this patch
to the GDM Xsession script but now doesn't?

Brian

I have just upgraded to gdm-2.18.3 and I found that I was not getting LS_COLORS set when I logged in. I investigated the problem and found that dircolors was being run in /etc/profile via the Xsessions script, but it was returning nothing because TERM was not set.

I checked on the old version of gdm I had and saw that in the Xsession there was included a check for TERM being set to something meaningful before calling profile. When I added the following to my 2.18.3 Xsession file it set LS_COLORS correctly

# check for a valid TERM to get correct LS_COLOR from profile
if [ -z $TERM -o "$TERM" = "dumb" ]; then
    export TERM=linux
fi